Friday, May 21, 2010

My Weekend Crush

So yesterday was one of those days. Work had me running around like that proverbial chicken with its equally proverbial (simmer down, PETA) head cut off. A rock flew up when the lawn guy was mowing and shattered the picture window in my living room. And my interpersonal relationships of almost all stripes were, to put it mildly, strained. You know, one of those days. So then, after a cocktail (or two, or three...) and an appropriate amount of time cursing the gods of fate, I decided to try a little music to soothe the savage beast that was my soul. But not just any music, new Janelle Monáe music.

If by chance you haven’t heard of Janelle Monáe, then it is my distinct privilege to introduce her to you. And if you have heard of her already, can I get an “Amen!” The magnificent Ms. Monáe released her major label debut, “The ArchAndroid,” this week. The sweepingly ambitious undertaking is a fusion of almost everything good – soul, funk, pop, jazz, big band, hip hop, science, fiction, fantasy, passion, love, beauty, joy. She is at once a studious throwback and yet entirely fresh. Her new album’s first single, “Tightrope,” is the very definition of infectious. And then there’s the video, where Janelle moves her feet in ways my feet only dream of moving in their best, wildest, craziest dreams. Add that all in with her look – that Dietrich-inspired tuxedo, that architecturally impossible pompadour, that impeccably audacious swagger – and you have a force so irresistible that no matter how bad your day was your soul will want to dance. So dance I did. Happy weekend, all.


p.s. In case you were wondering, the lady can kill it live, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment