Saturday, May 15, 2010

Okay, the "Kagan gay" thing (or, If I'm a fair judge...)

Sigh.

Today on ABC/Washington Post’s “Top Line,” Richard Socarides – a prominent Democratic gay-rights advocate who worked alongside Kagan in the Clinton White House – said the White House appeared “flat-footed” at the beginning, but appears to have gotten its messaging under control.


“I think the whole conversation now is probably more silly than anything else, and is probably mostly about bloggers trying to drive traffic to their blogs,”


That's preposterous. I remember I was talking about this just last year. Let me set the scene for you.

I was attending the Golden Globes, my date was Scarlett Johansson.

(To be honest, first I called Jennifer Lopez.)

(But try getting that girl's ass out of a hot bath.)

We walked past Gwyneth Paltrow and Leslie Bibb on the way into the auditorium.

Gwyneth and Scarlett took turns giving each other feeling looks (Gwyneth never has liked sharing); Leslie busied herself by making sure all her right places were seen in all the right places.

But her naked desire to look as cute or cuter as America Ferrera...


--had in Maxim, was apparent to all.

After watching Tina Fey win, we decided to slip out for a bite to eat.

On the way, we came on Rooney Mara

We asked her to join us and make this a threesome. She said yes, and the three of us decided to go down to a diner I knew with kick-ass hamburgers on delectable buns.

As we walked into the diner, Rooney whispered to me that she couldn't wait to suck down an ice-cold Coke.

To our surprise, who should be there but Kristen Wiig! She was playing with a doggie; Photobucket styled like a trucker-chick, and eating a pickle.

However, I digress.

My point is I remember, while all that was going on, turning to Kristen and saying that this blogger, for one, would never go so low as to write provocative things into his blog, merely in hopes of driving his traffic up.

And I never will.

Oh, and Connie Britton is having an affair.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, back to the story at hand.

Socarides said Kagan will be able to fairly judge all issues that come before the court. That includes those touching on the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy banning gay and lesbian service-members from being open about their sexuality – a policy Kagan spoke out against as dean of Harvard Law School.


All jokes aside...this is what really made me want to talk about this. The argument some are making that Kagan's sexuality is a real issue in whether or not she should be confirmed. Or that if she is, and indeed also a lesbian, she should recuse herself from any issues involving gay people.

The answer to that seems so obvious. What about all the issues involving straight people the rest of the court rules on all the time? Why would one think they can judge issues involving their sexuality fairly, but Kagan--again, if she is indeed gay--cannot?

No comments:

Post a Comment