Friday, September 10, 2010

My Weekend Crush

Oh Michelle, Michelle. I have not seen “Machete” yet. But my reluctance has nothing to do with Michelle Rodriguez. In fact, M-Rod is pretty much the reason I would go see “Machete.” Well, that and the eye patch. What I like about her, beside her obvious ridiculously rocking body that makes you want to bite your fist on sight, is that she is unapologetically the tough girl. She embraces her strength, she knows it makes her different. And, to be blunt, she doesn’t give a fuck. She realizes because she doesn’t play the girlfriend or the victim, her roles are limited. As she said before:
“I could give two shits. I only wanna be someone or I respect or someone that I consider interesting or fun. I’m here to entertain people and make a statement about female empowerment and strength and that’s what I've done for the last 10 years, and people can call it typecast, but I pigeonholed myself and I put myself in that box for saying no to everything else that came on my plate.”

You have to respect that. In an industry where too many actresses feel forced to make too many concessions to make it – be the eye candy, take off your clothes, get rescued, play dumb – Michelle has made practically none. She exists solely, it seems, to be fierce. Like I was saying, respect. Happy weekend, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment