Friday, November 5, 2010

My Weekend Crush

I’m not a huge fan of the color pink. It has always been too conventionally girlie for me, something I associate with ruffles and not the good potato chip kind. But Pink the singer, hell yeah. In fact, I remember distinctly when she first came on the scene 10 years ago with her short shock of hot pink hair and unquestionable sexy swagger. It was an immediate, undeniable, “Whoa.” She was a girl, but not girlie. She is just shy of full-on butch, but still plenty of tough. Fun, spunky, badass. I liked her a lot, right from the start.

Over the years she has kept giving us all more and more reasons to like her. Unafraid to speak her mind and unashamed of being strong, she packs her music with great melodies and greater messages. “Dear Mr. President” is one of the most searing indictments of the Bush era out there. Sure, we all wish she played for our team, but she has never been shy about supporting our team. An outspoken advocate for GLBT rights, she was recently received the Human Rights Campaign National Dinner with the Ally for Equality Award. All that and the gal can really sing. OK, fine – those abs don’t hurt either. Heck, thank to Pink, I even for a split second considered joining a convent on the off chance that she’d be there to, um, convert me. Happy weekend, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment