Friday, January 21, 2011

My Weekend Squee

At our darkest hour, when we were certain all hope was lost, on the brink of defeat, came hope. “Brittana is on. Brittana was always on.” So tweeteth “Glee” co-creator Brad Falchuk, so tweeteth us all. I have to say, when I saw this tweet come up in my feed last night, it took me a few seconds to comprehend what was being said. No, this wasn’t from a fan’s twitter account. No, this wasn’t wishful thinking. No, this wasn’t some sort of amazingly articulate pocket tweet. This is what’s happening. Brittana is happening. Praise Grilled Cheesus.

I like “Glee,” a lot. Sure it’s not a perfect show but it keeps the parts of my brain that love shiny things and the parts of my brain that love Jane Lynch happy. And then this flirty little relationship between Brittany and Santana caught my eye and found its way into a tiny crevice in my heart I didn’t realize needed filling. And so now I’m all in. I can’t help it. They’re adorable. I’m hooked. But like other Brittana fans, I found my devotion tested. Brittany and Artie? Santana and Sam? So many expletives. So many.

So now, just when I was ready to give up, a ray of light. Some are still skeptical about whether a show where characters are sometimes less developed than their dance moves will keep its promise. But I, for one, choose to keep the faith. This isn’t a wishy-washy statement of maybe, at some point, we’re considering it. This is on. So I’m going to be excited and save my anger for the if, not the when, any promises get broken. And I’m also going to be very thankful to the creators, writers and especially actors. If Naya Rivera and Heather Morris hadn’t been on board from the start, I doubt Brittana would have every happened. More open, positive and undeniable LGBT characters on TV are always a good thing. Bring it on, Brittana. Happy weekend, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment