Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What little girls are made of

Now, I don’t normally write about celebrity children. They are, quite frankly, none of my business and entirely unwitting participants in the game of fame. But I simply must say something about this famous tyke because, well, 1) ZOMG, The Cute and 2) Holy tomboy, Batman.

Little 3-year-old Shiloh Jolie-Pitt has been seen around, often with big sister Zahara, looking so adorable and so tomboyish that my cynical gay heart grew three sizes. Now part of me is all, “Hello, future gay!” But another part of me is just heartened to see such a non-traditional image of young femininity. Unlike little Suri Cruise, who I’ve seen in tiny toddler heels, Shiloh’s tastes run toward ties and hats and cargo shorts.

I really love that Angie and Brad seem totally OK with her tomboying about town. Of course, I never expected them to be anything other than open-minded parents. But there are many well-meaning folks who would be uncomfortable having their daughter seen in what was clearly meant to be little boys’ wear. Thankfully, not them. Screw the pink crap, give this girl a sword.

But what is perhaps most refreshing of all is that these clothes seem to be entirely Shiloh’s choice. It’s not some different-to-be-different look her parents have chosen for her. If so, then they’d dress 4-year-old Zahara the same way. But Zahara’s tastes seem to run to the more traditionally girlie. Which makes the contrast between the sisters so fun to see; it’s just their personalities.

I was totally that little girl who wanted to wear hats and suits and ties and swords growing up. I was pretty much allergic to ruffles. OK, fine, so I wore a dress to my first day of pre-school. But it was my favorite dress and in my defense, it came with its own vest. So, clearly, I can relate.

Who knows if this tomboy phase will stick. But I intend to enjoy it for as long it lasts. Just because little girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice, doesn’t mean they can’t wear some sensible slacks like the boys to explore all the world’s snips and snails and puppy dogs tails.

No comments:

Post a Comment