Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mando-Pop : Taiwan's Top Earners, JJ Lin On Love Life And Rebranding Himself

Taiwanese celebrities Jimmy Lin and Barbie Hsu are certainly getting a fat paycheck this year.

In a recent research conducted by a Taiwanese magazine, both Jimmy and Barbie are champion moneymakers in the male and female category respectively.

Jimmy Lin had raked in an estimated TWD 120 million(SGD 6 million)from an upcoming clothes endorsement deal, where he replaces Andy Lau as the new spokesperson, as well as two drama and movie projects in China.

Popular idol drama actor Mingdao took second place with an income of TWD 100 million(SGD 5 million)while model-actor Peter Ho came in third, earning TWD 85 million (SGD 4.25 million).

On the female celebrities side, actress Barbie Hsu took home the throne, reaping an estimated fortune of more than TWD 80 million (SGD 4 million) from three movie projects and nine endorsement deals.

Actress Joe Chen from the popular Taiwanese series Fated to love you and Ady An ranked second and third, earning TWD 77 million (SGD 3.85 million) and TWD 48 million (SGD 2.4 million) respectively.

Taiwanese celebrities Jimmy Lin and Barbie Hsu are certainly getting a fat paycheck this year.

HIS well-toned abs in his concert ads made headlines recently.

Local singer JJ Lin seems happy to show off his trim figure.

When asked about the ads, which are for his current tour in Beijing, the 29-year-old said: 'The purpose of doing concerts is to rebrand yourself.

'When I was doing the photoshoots for the poster, I knew I had to show my upper body. So I decided to do some exercises to ensure my figure would turn out well.'

He added that he exercises regularly but never had the chance to show off a well-toned body.

Lin said: 'For (the concerts), I worked on toning my body. I'm not a regular gym-goer but I exercise with dumbbells.'

Lin stressed that his muscular appearance on his album cover does not mean he is cultivating a macho image.

He said: 'I'm still a homely guy. But when performing, I need to project a certain image. I have eight concerts all the way till November and that's a big challenge for me.'

Lin revealed that his next concert in Singapore would be in February or March next year.

When asked if his new muscular image was to tie in with a more mature image, Lin said: 'It's a natural progression.

'Besides singing and songwriting, I want to discover more about myself.'

Streetwear label

Despite his busy schedule, Lin will be opening the first overseas outlet of his streetwear label, Smudge, in Shanghai's Xin Tian Di district on Sept 27.

Lin believes his business has been successful because he has capable staff.

But can he juggle his singing career and his fashion business? Lin believes so.

He said: 'I'm testing myself to see how I can do well in both.'

Earlier this year, Lin also made headlines when he wrote the song You Are The One, Singapore, for the Cheer Singapore campaign.

The song and the video were panned by listeners who felt the song lacked meaning and that the hand gestures in the video were childish.

Lin described the brickbats as 'part and parcel of growing up', adding that many things, including media reports, are beyond his control.

He said: 'Sometimes, the more you explain yourself, the more people think you have erred. So sometimes, it's best not to say too much. As long as you know you have a clear conscience, it's good enough.'

When asked about his love life, Lin revealed he is often in a dilemma.

He said: 'If I like a girl and the relationship becomes known, I'd be in a dilemma as to whether to confirm the romance or not.

'If I admit to seeing any girl, she'd face the media glare. But if I deny being in a relationship, I'd be accused of hiding something.'

Perhaps it is because of this that Lin has neither confirmed nor denied talk that he is dating a busty Taiwanese starlet, whom the Taiwanese media have identified only as Lillian.

The two were recently photographed behaving intimately.

Lin would only say: 'If I admit to seeing a girl today, does it mean I have to announce it if we were to split up later? Would this make me appear to be fickle?

'I'm very careful when it comes to matters of the heart. I'm not very experienced in this department, so I'm quite coy about this.'

No comments:

Post a Comment