Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Negging

During a recent night on the local club scene, a guy gave me this line: "You don't wear a lot of makeup, do you?"

I fired back with a speech about how I woke up at 5:30 a.m., endured a stressful day at work and still hadn't eaten dinner.

Which prompted him to backpedal a bit, explaining that his question was only meant to emphasize a belief that I had so much natural beauty that I didn't need makeup. Um, sure.

Either way, I walked away insulted.

Was this type of exchange an isolated incident? Maybe not.

Jezebel features an interesting piece on "negging," which Urban Dictionary defines as "low-grade insults meant to undermine the self-confidence of a woman so she might be more vulnerable to your advances."

Pretty appealing, right? Note the sarcasm.

Tell me if you've seen this pickup strategy on the local meet market. Does it ever work?

No comments:

Post a Comment